New Course

Starting a new class tonight at the seminary. Very excited!! Class is called "Baptist Beliefs" and is taught by some of the professors for the seminary itself as well as the president. Textbook is, "Baptist Faith and Message" which was updated a couple of years ago. I've read through the old one in the past, but this new edition is set up like a mini-bible study, which in my opinion, is a marvelous idea, especially for those who have never read it or are unfamiliar with biblical doctrine and how it manifests itself in the Southern Baptist Convention.

I am really looking forward to being in a setting where learning is encouraged and where ignorance is welcomed and eagerly swept away. Being at one church all my life, learning one way of doing things "church", in a certain area of the world can be extremely beneficial but can also be a hindrance as you learn that you have no idea what "church" looks like in other people groups, cities, states, countries and continents.

The Lord is showing me that His people REALLY DO come in every shape and size and color and denomination and culture. When I read through the New Testament and watch in my mind's eye as Paul goes to countries he knows nothing about, it is invigorating. As Revelation says... the Bride of Christ is made up of people from every language, tribe, tongue, etc. The right way to do things is God's way of doing them in that moment, for those people. Ministry may look methodically different in all parts of the world but one thing remains the same... Matthew 5:16..... "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." I am praying that I will have eyes to see the works that He has laid out for me to do before the creation of the world and not just run around like a crazy person doing things I ought not do. I want to hear the Holy Spirit and then as we tell the children... "Listen and obey."

I am blessed by the people of God.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather...So good to hear from you. Sounds like you are loving this new season of your life. I'm envious in many ways! Our best memories are from the Bible college days, although we didn't have kids at the time, everyday was an immense struggle to survive in the Cali. mountains. I will never forget the miracles of God's provisions during that time